03 June 2008

The Wonder of the Woods
by Helen George

I walk the paths lazily, just wandering along,
Listening to birds as they sing their sweet song,
Peering about for any creatures who might stir,
Watching them scuttle, passing by in a blur.

The sweet, heady scent of the honeysuckle vine
Drifts through the air, draws me in like sweet wine,
While quiet surrounds me, so tranquil and calm,
Bringing comfort and peace like a soothing balm.

In a cool, shady glen, moss and lichens grow,
And that old hollow log has mushrooms below,
Older trees standing tall, reaching up to the sky,
Their offshoots ensuring the species won't die.

The wonder of the woods one cannot ignore,
It calls out your name, begs you stop and explore,
Every chance that I'm given, I know I'll return,
For such woodland bliss my soul doth yearn.

1 comment: