27 May 2008

The Soldier
by Helen George

I am a brave soldier, serving with pride,
Backing my country when two wills collide,
With honor I fight for democratic beliefs,
Restoring the peace, bringing relief.

I'm sometimes disparaged when things go wrong,
But I'm trusting in God to keep us strong,
Run tyranny out, bring freedom in its wake,
Make the world safe for everyone's sake.

I didn't ask for this fight, but I never would flee
When duty calls, and my country needs me,
Wearing this uniform, a symbol of might,
Standing tall and with dignity, basking in right.

I fight for the freedom of all, yes, it's true,
My compatriots, family, dissidents, too,
While you may not agree with chosen policy,
Don't denigrate those who keep you free.


http://www.usa-patriotism.com/poems/tv/soldier-03.htm

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [Written 27 May 2008. Posted on poetrypages.com on same day as written. Posted as part of their June challenge for patriotic poetry.]

    ReplyDelete
  3. 28 May 2008. Posted on My Poetry Showcase.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 30 May 2008 Submitted to usa-patriotism.com to see if they would accept it for inclusion on their website for patriotic poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 4 Jun 2008 usa-patriotism.com accepted my poem and posted it on their website. This is the email they sent:

    Thank you for contributing your heartfelt poems, "The Flag" and "The Soldier". "The Flag" is now listed . . . and "The Soldier" will be listed tomorrow. You can find each poem quickly on the Recently Listed Poems page.

    ReplyDelete