05 June 2008

My Sweet Little Sugar
by Helen George

Sugar was very ill when she came into my life,
To keep her alive became a great strife,
She had constant diarrhea and wouldn't eat,
But she was always alert and, oh, so sweet.

The vet was baffled, couldn't find a cure,
What ailed poor Sugar was very obscure,
We tried every remedy, ran the whole course,
But nothing worked and she only got worse.

There were times she did seem a little bit better,
Always a trouper, you couldn't help but love her,
Sugar was playful, she soon captured my heart,
I didn't want to lose her, didn't want us to part.

She became very weak, could hardly move around,
In the end, it was more merciful to put her down,
So I held her, stroked her, and cried many tears,
The memories I have will keep her always near.

5 comments:

  1. 5 Jun 2008 Sent email to query@catfancy.com with a
    request for publication in Cat Fancy magazine [sent My Black Cat, Cat Antics, The Cat, and My Sweet Little Sugar]

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6 Jun 2008 Posted on The Poetry Showcase

    ReplyDelete
  3. 10 Jun 2008 emailed to I Love Cats [http://www.iluvcats.com/forever.html]. They don't pay anything, but if accepted, they will add the poem with a picture of the cat to their website. I sent my poem and a picture of Sugar to ilovecatseditor@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. 13 Jun 2008 email rec'd: "I'm sorry, but I rarely publish poetry, so I will have to pass."
    Sincerely,
    Lisa M. Allmendinger
    Editor
    I Love Cats

    ReplyDelete