14 June 2008

Is It Really Affection
by Helen George

My kitty just rubbed her chin against mine,
In return, I stroke her and tell her she's fine,
Is this how she chooses her love to define?
Or knowing I'd stroke her, is it done by design?

She rubs against my legs and meows so sweet,
For this show of affection, I give her a treat,
And I let her in bed when she paws at the sheet,
Is she showing she loves me or is this deceit?

When I arrive home, she meets me at the door,
Where she soulfully gazes as if to implore,
My bowl is empty, won't you please give me more?
If she weren't hungry, would she choose to ignore?

I sometimes wonder at these signs of affection,
When she's rewarded, is there some connection,
If such displays of love bring compensation,
Is it really affection... or an affectation?

1 comment: